„History of the Sakhalin Oblast in the Second Half of the ÕÕ Century“ Exhibit Hall will familiarize visitors with the events taking place in Sakhalin and the Kurile islands in the time period following 1945, including the first years of the XXI century. It also informs about the Sakhalin Oblast’s formation within modern boundaries, its multinational population, industry and cultural life.
After the end of the World War II the southern Sakhalin and the Kurile islands became part of the Soviet Union.
The documents, photographs and a map displayed in the Exhibit Hall inform about establishment of the Southern Sakhalin Oblast and later on the Sakhalin Oblast as one united entity in 1947.
During that period of time population of the southern Sakhalin and the Kurile islands consisted of big ethnic groups: Russians; Japanese; Koreans; Ainu and others with its qualitative composition changing.
Specific feature of the insular Oblast’s post war development was such that in the southern Sakhalin Soviet and the Japanese people worked together. Original photographs made by D. N. Kryukov, Chief of the Southern Sakhalin Civil Affairs Department, show both Soviet, and the Japanese people at the May 1 Holiday of 1946 in the city of Toyohara (the future Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk).
In December 1946 the agreement was made between the USSR and the USA on repatriation of the Japanese population, including Ainu from the Soviet Union, which was complete at the end of the 1950s.
In the second half of the 1940s the early 1950s the process of the southern Sakhalin and the Kurile islands’ settlement by the Soviet people started. The poster under the heading „Comrades collective farmers. Come to live on the rich soils of the Sakhalin Oblast!“, typical for the period, will familiarize visitors with a system of benefits provided for the settlers. Model of the 1940s–1950s’ settler room interior shows living conditions of the people who came to Sakhalin at the Communist Party call or the Young Communist League’s assignments to restore national economy.
The 1950s in the Sakhalin Oblast, and over the whole country saw a great post-war rise in the Soviet people’s labour and creative activity.
In 1971 the city of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk was awarded with the Order of the Red Banner of Labour and in 1982 with the Order of the Friendship of Peoples for achievements in the industrial and cultural spheres. Many labor collectives repeatedly became winners in the All-Union and All-Russian socialist emulations for improving efficiency and quality of work.
The spirit of the period and people’s enthusiasm is well represented by the part of the exhibit hall devoted to creation of the new branches of industry and economic development in the northern and the southern parts of the Oblast. Displayed there are photographs showing plants and best workers of oil, coal mining, timber and paper industries.
Oil industry had developed at especially rapid pace having become highly developed branch of the Sakhalin Oblast’s economy in the first decade of the XXI century.
Displayed in the exhibit hall are the photographs representing the Sakhalin II comprehensive oil and gas project greatest in the world. The project had its start in 1994. It develops two Sakhalin offshore fields Piltun-Astohskoye oil and Lunskoye gas fields located 15 km off the north-eastern Sakhalin in the Okhotsk Sea waters.
The first Russia’s offshore oil was produced on the Molikpaq production platform in July of 1999. The Molikpaq’s platform model (mock-up) is also displayed in the exhibit hall.
Recently the Aniva Bay shore has become one of the main landmarks of the Sakhalin island. The LNG plant the first in our country and the crown jewel of the Sakhalin II project is located there. Receiving, treatment, processing and liquefaction of the natural gas are performed at the LNG plant.
Two photographs captured the most memorable events: laying of the memorial sign at the site of the future LNG plant by Igor Farkhutdinov, the Governor of the Sakhalin Oblast and the partners in the Project (2001), and opening (commissioning) of the LNG plant by Dmitry Medvedev, President of the Russian Federation (2006).
Unique copies of photographs and documents, and genuine objects represent history of the fish industry development. During the first post-war years fish harvesting took place mostly in the coastal waters. To make a transition from the obsolete system of passive coastal fisheries to the active one in the 1050s small fishing vessels were replaced with the large sized fishing fleet. Master ships and seiners enabled fishermen to sail far into the open seas and considerably augment catches.
Dedicated labour efforts by the Far Eastern fishermen including that of the Sakhalin Oblast were highly recognized by the Communist Party and the Soviet Government.
Housing construction had been intensively conducted at that time period with health care, educational, and cultural spheres actively developing. Movie theaters (later changed into the Movie and Concert Halls), museums, houses of culture, national Korean theaters and orchestras and of course the Drama Theater.
Set of exhibits devoted to Igor Pavlovich Farkhutdinov (1950–2003), including his photographs and genuine personal items completes sets of exhibits in the hall.
Igor Pavlovich was the Sakhalin Oblast governor from 1995 till 2003. He paid great attention to development of the economic (industrial) and social spheres of the Oblast. He actively enticed foreign investors, for the island’s offshore oil and gas fields’ development in particular, into the Region.